The job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery

......Francis Bacon

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Artful Gifts

Good morning!............Sitting here having my coffee and deep in thought about what it means to live a more "artful" life".

  I want to do and create things from a much deeper place. I'm REALLY not a writer so sometimes it's difficult for me to find the words to express what I'm feeling. You would think that being an artist would just naturally mean I could communicate in a written way, but for me , it just doesn't work that way. I'm working on it however so hopefully my blog posts will improve with time.

  I picked out a pretty little gift for a friend. I searched high and low in my studio for a beautiful way to present this gift to her. A store bought, commercial, run of the mill package wasn't going to work so I really wanted to make this gift special. I wanted to create a unique meaningful gift.

  I have been trying to sew a little lately. Now remember, sewing is a foreign activity to me. I have a hard time just threading my machine! So gathering up all my reserve, I sat down at my little machine and started to make a tiny gift bag to hold my friends treasure. Using some pretty Japanese fabric that I have been hoarding for some time now, I carefully cut out a piece, ran it through my machine and voila!, I had actually made something! (can you hear the trumpets blaring!), and I didn't break my sewing machine either!

 Yay!............Go Me!!



I took some unbleached muslin fabric and using a french text stamp, stamped the words onto the muslin. I then attached that to the little bag and added a vintage button. I completed the bag by attaching a handmade tag and there it was. I love it and I think my friend really loved it too.

I think handmade, artfelt gifts speak volumes to the people we care about. I am going to continue to "gift" this way from now on. This is just one small step in living a more "artful" life". Paying closer attention to those we care about and taking extra steps to show how we feel. I enjoyed creating this gift and I enjoyed using my sewing machine. I think I will make some pretty pillows for my nest. I saw these pillows at one of my favorite stores, Anthropologie 

 Now, granted, I don't think my pillows will turn out looking as good as these but I am going to try to make something similar. I think I will start out with just a plain ole square , simple pillow. I just need to go pick out some pretty fabric in my favorite Bohemian style. I will let you know how it goes! 



No comments:

Post a Comment